Feel bad for not having updated with a decent colorful update in a while, so here goes...

The Turbo is now on, alot bigger then the old one tbh, espically on exhaust side! lol

DSC_1339.JPG

If you didnt see my old turbo, take a look on page 32 or 34 :lol:

The exhaust is now 3" all the way through! Very nearly didnt upload these pics, cus its diurty underneath lol... havent had chance to clean it underneath yet!

DSC_1335.JPG

It was 2.5" from that flange before^^

It certainly isnt now! haha

DSC_1336.JPG

Ricky was worried the size of the pipe wouldnt go over the beam, as I have my cusco coilovers as low as they will go on the back...

DSC_1337.JPG

Going to try it for some miles, Ricky may even put an extra hanger in yet...

I also asked for a bit of JDM angle :p

DSC_1334.JPG

Bad pic to show angle and fitment:

DSC_1338.JPG

SO! All thats left now is mapping, which will happen the first day we have dry roads i guess :)

Ill keep you all posted :p

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i hope im gonna get away with a 2.5" :/ its not looking like i will however tuning developmets GT is running way over 300bhp on a 2.5" system :/ we will see lol

It depends on MANY things. You'd certainly be better on a 3" system, but a 2.5 might work. We've actually ran over 350hp on a 2.5" system, but at the same boost level picked up 20% power gain 70hp! Just by swapping the exhaust.

Of course things like nitrous, race fuel, aggressive mapping, turbo efficiency, cam timing etc etc can mean you get more than 300hp while staying 2.5". A screamer pipe obviously helps as well.

Its like aerodynamics, you can make a double decker bus do 200mph, you just need a LOT more power than a car.

so what are you saying ricky. That by swappin exhaust u get like 20 percent increase? No offence but i don't see how. Matts gt30 surely pushes 350 ish? So it should now make 400 plus. Please prove me wrong.

so what are you saying ricky. That by swappin exhaust u get like 20 percent increase? No offence but i don't see how. Matts gt30 surely pushes 350 ish? So it should now make 400 plus. Please prove me wrong.

No what I said was.

It depends on MANY things. You'd certainly be better on a 3" system, but a 2.5 might work. We've actually ran over 350hp on a 2.5" system, but at the same boost level picked up 20% power gain 70hp! Just by swapping the exhaust.

If you try and run a 500hp turbo on a 2.5" exhaust, it'll hold you back to a power level. For arguments sake 350hp, if you replaced this you'd then gain huge amounts.

Gas speed is happy to approx mach 0.4. After this you have a massive restriction.

Heres a civic exhaust we modelled showing the flow data and restriction points.

civicexhaust-1.jpg

You will always gain efficiency removing the exhaust after a turbo, so bigger is always better with very few/no exceptions. This might not show itself in a power gain, I.e. if something else is already causing a bigger restriction. But it will always gain you something, beit spool, power, powerband, torque, economy, etc etc.

He never said it was a starlet dude... or even said I personally would gain that much... He is however saying it is worth it for the gain! :lol:

i understand theres a gain Matt. As ricky said be it spool economy etc. I was just thinkin in my head the td demo car ran 380 on a 2.5. You have an equal if not better turbo. So with the gain u should net 400. 5 percent increase with your exhaust seems fair. I know its 5e v 4e but you said ya self 4e likes revs and is 1.4.

Looks sweet mate love the turbo pic

CHeers matey!

an update full of win!

nice one dude.

Phil.

Cheers Phil matey!

Looking good dude, now please get it mapped :lol:

Next on List Liam matey!

nice update mate! the race tech exhausts are the best ive ever seen. everyone goes nuts wanting a jdm exhaust but rickys are much better quality. i would love one on my ep85.

Aye, love it!

i understand theres a gain Matt. As ricky said be it spool economy etc. I was just thinkin in my head the td demo car ran 380 on a 2.5. You have an equal if not better turbo. So with the gain u should net 400. 5 percent increase with your exhaust seems fair. I know its 5e v 4e but you said ya self 4e likes revs and is 1.4.

40bhp at least, of the above will be because of the extra displacement (it being a 1.5)... You also have to remember I have stock cams and inlet manifoold at the moment... So these will be the next 2 bottlenecks/limiting factors... Dont matter what turbo you have, a 3inch exhaust would certainly help TD Demo car im sure! But we'll have to wait and see what my car is capable of on the rollers!

End of day, i couldnt give a rats ass what anyone elses car produces, I have my car, i got what i asked for from Ricky, and he has done a VERY good job of it... Its not a big battle lol...

Im going to have 300bhp+, an awesome amount of Torque, Rapid Fast Spool for this size of turbo on a 1.3 and it will make all the right noises to put the smile on my face ive always wanted, since i took the engine out to start this project back in August 2010!

I'm not having a go mate. Just with the change to massive turbo i thought u were going for 350 plus. Ya old turbo should of made 300 plus right? So how come the change. Just interested dude

Matt doesn't want everything maxed right out of the box. This turbo will breeze 300hp with very little added lag, I'm hoping spool will still be better than a td04, and i've no reason to believe it won't be. 330+hp will be close to the stock cam's limit, but the powerband should be very nice. Turbo design plays a more important role than turbo size.

im looking forword to see what this makes and seeing how the turbo spools!!

keep ya eyes on this thread Bean mate :lol:

I'm not having a go mate. Just with the change to massive turbo i thought u were going for 350 plus. Ya old turbo should of made 300 plus right? So how come the change. Just interested dude

In terms of bigger, it isnt that much bigger I dont believe. My original want was for 300bhp but not to lag like fook. This new turbo as Ricky explained, I sacrifice a bit more spool time for a bit more power. But being able to STILL spool just as fast as a td04 and yet produce alot more power is a pretty awesome....

Mapping is on the cards, just waiting for this to arrive..

velocitystack.jpg

Then we are good for mapping next week!