career progression for a 28 year old!

See I disagree with that mate.

I know loads of people that thought, Oh I love cars, I'm going to be a mechanic.

Can seriously take the passion out of it.

Definitely do something you enjoy, but I'd say do something that you don't do at home...

it either runs in the blood or not

back to the op . only carrier update is upgrading to be a legal bank robber

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As above im a mechanic worked in a garage over 4 years but never went to college so cant do mechanical work for helicopters but just applied for a stores job as you only work 6 month a year im currently running a workshop for a oil company which is good but with the way oil is just now its hard to say how safe i am

See I disagree with that mate.

I know loads of people that thought, Oh I love cars, I'm going to be a mechanic.

Can seriously take the passion out of it.

Definitely do something you enjoy, but I'd say do something that you don't do at home...

I agree with that to some extent. Those people seem to believe "I love cars", but what they mean to say is they like modifying, tuning etc etc. But when it comes to it, being a mechanic isn't nothing like that, as Daniel has said, it's diagnosing and fixing which is what those people get brainwashed with if you like.

A friend of mine started doing graffiti round the town when he was younger (you know how it is lol). He enjoyed it, went to uni and now travels all over the country doing art work for businesses, private etc.

I myself have just finished uni doing a Motorsport degree, at the moment I'm currently doing some private work like designing pistons, big brake conversion kits such as bespoke bells, brackets etc. I've been a qualified mechanic for nearly 7 years, but I guess the good thing is for me I'm able to vary what I do and don't get bored of working on my own car because of this.

The engineering sector itself is crying out for people, likewise so is some of the health sector as well. Powerplants are another good one to get into and can be pretty easy to work your way up if you show keen interest and work hard.

If you want to earn good money quickly go and get a job in sales and work for a reputable growing company. You don't need experience in most, just a decent head on you.

Failing that if you've got time study to do some cisco systems CCENT/CCNA exams, give it a year and you can be earning a nice wage too.

Dpends what everyone deems as a lot tho?

Edited by RobSR

I've done mechanics for years, for fun and work, and still enjoy doing it. I'm not keen to work on my own car after a day at work as much... But think that's just because I'm tired.

As for making more money I think you should look at the bigger picture. There are loads of ways to make money or have life experiences without having a job full stop. Decide what you want to do with your life and work around it that way instead of building your life around what money you have.

Didnt know Fisher Price did Mechanic qualifications

I never knew they were a subsidiary of City & Guilds either.

Anyway I'm not gonna clog up this thread because you don't believe it, but if you wanna know more then PM me, I'll be happy to show you 😊

I feel Your pain and often find myself thumbing through the job ads. I've been a chef for 15 years, and qualified for 11. I work for a huge catering company and I'm based within centre parcs, and I've been there for 7 years but there is just no progression. My problem is checking is all i know and all I've ever done and what with family and a house and bills it's hard to find something new to do that pays enough. Or find time to get qualifications working lates.

I have a foundation degree in Science that i got when i was 19 then i went on to study quantum physics and left uni with a BSc(Hons) 2:1

I have worked for the MOD since but not on a lot of money :( I enjoy the job i'm doing now, I control the movement and issue of Bowman (radio) equipment on the vehicles at the defence school of transport. I also work alongside the Arms Cpl who looks after the armoury. So basically i get to issue and account for the SA80's, LSW's, Pistols and bayonets and magazines which is pretty cool. But i don't get paid a fortune and i'm not using my degree.

Feel like i should be looking for something that utilises my degree so i can earn a lot more money but there's just nothing around east yorkshire and i don't want to relocate :(

I have a foundation degree in Science that i got when i was 19 then i went on to study quantum physics and left uni with a BSc(Hons) 2:1

I have worked for the MOD since but not on a lot of money :( I enjoy the job i'm doing now, I control the movement and issue of Bowman (radio) equipment on the vehicles at the defence school of transport. I also work alongside the Arms Cpl who looks after the armoury. So basically i get to issue and account for the SA80's, LSW's, Pistols and bayonets and magazines which is pretty cool. But i don't get paid a fortune and i'm not using my degree.

Feel like i should be looking for something that utilises my degree so i can earn a lot more money but there's just nothing around east yorkshire and i don't want to relocate :(

if you can use your degree.... get a pgce or similar and teach.

Phil

Aviation pays well and they love apprentices

I'm an aircraft fitter, when I was serving my time there were apprentices in their 30's, even one in his 50's a year ahead of me. If you could survive a few years on minimum wage while you serve your time the pay is fairly decent once your done :)

I think there are two ways you can go, you can do a job you love and not worry as much about the money, or you get a job that pays well but isn't the most interesting. I went for the latter, as the way I see it, I can crack on with my job and then with the money I earn I can enjoy myself. I have only recently qualified as a Management Accountant and it was a hard slog, but I wasted a lot of time.

The question is, how did you do at school, and what are you good at?

I strongly advise to do an apprenticeship while you can mate! You are still living at home and at your at you will most likely get paid atleast 600 a month for the first year then by law you need to get paid minimum after the first year.Get into a trade while you can mate. I keep trying to bug my brother to do the same as hes 29 still living at home on a low wage etc.

I personally vote get into the building its honestly not that hard work at all aslong as you are mechcanily minded. I am training to be a plumber right now but I plan to be a kitchen/bathroom fitter as its nearly as good money but its a job I love doing.

Edited by mas12555

I'd always worked in retail, pubs and call centres so 2 years ago decided i'd become a web developer. Mate of mine builds websites for hilton and it seemed pretty interesting, easy enough to pick up.

I never did any computing at school but I went back to uni for 1 year to do a postgrad in IT, the course was really easy and now im just finishing my first year on a 20k starting salary.

Web development's pretty easy, theres a lot to learn but no one knows everything and you can basically google how to do most times and someone will tell you, to be honest you could learn how to build websites in your spare time pretty quickly using websites like teamtreehouse.com. Get a portfolio together building websites for friends and start applying for jobs.