Nanglebadgers work in progress

cheers all!! I had been eyeing them up last week, and whilst driving home from work on Friday, I caught myself just sitting thinking about them.

One thing led to another, and boom. Mark is kindly collecting them for me, hopefully next weekend all being well, so now all I need to do is find a way to get them from Mark to me. Anyone driving through Ayr with space to carry two seats in the next few months will receive beer or whiskey for their troubles!!!

Phil.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers JP! Only pics I have are from the seller (WallaceGlanza - super lad to deal with by the way!!!!!). Mark will cast his eye over them for me no doubt once he tucks them up at his place next weekend. I'll see about adding some pics if Mark takes any, or uploading some of Wallace's.

Once these are paid for - and I arrange for a new sofa for the house which was the deal with the wife lol - I'll be going back to what I was working on; Jay has a set of old lower arms that I'm going to have refurbed and powder coated. These will get new ball joints and track rod ends, perhaps some new bushes too, and the Whiteline Anti-lift kit I've had sitting for 7 years! I will then turn my attention to some coilovers to resolve the suspension once and for all; needs to be coilies for the 14" Rays as springs and shocks just wont cut it height-wise. Then I need tires for the 14s. And in the middle of that, Jay and I have a couple of oil leaks to find and resolve PERMANENTLY!

Once all that is sorted, I shall return my attention to the poor paint condition as the original repair job just doesnt cut the mustard any longer.

As Jay says, a man with a plan. A slow plan I will grant you, but a plan nontheless. Be a few seasons yet before I'm parked up beside Beth and Joel at shows, but its heading in the right direction, and these seats will be f**king superb!

Phil.

@JP - they are on the Evo rails with EP feet welded on.

Other than a quick lick of hammerite on the welds, and a cheeky look to see if i can mount the crutch straps to the sub frame, they will pop straight in and be fully compatible with the Willans harnesses. That was the whole point of these. One of my existing rails died a while back, and whilst looking at solutions, I didnt want to end up with some new seats and no means of fitting them as I don't have the contact to make up universal rails that I had originally a few years back. That's why I was looking for GT seats for so long, as they would (mostly) pop in. There was a set of Evo Recaros popped up for sale over here, but again, no means of installing them. The beauty of Wallace's set, apart from their mint condition, is the fact I don't have to spend further time and money buying rails and finding someone to construct them. I dont have regular contact with my original mechanic any longer unfortunately as he was the chap who did ALOT of my early work, even fitting handbrake covers, as daft as that sounds lol.

Cheers Wallace dude, excited isnt the word! been investigating methods of delivery from the brother's house already lol.

Phil.

Edited by Nanglebadger

Cheers JP! Only pics I have are from the seller (WallaceGlanza - super lad to deal with by the way!!!!!). Mark will cast his eye over them for me no doubt once he tucks them up at his place next weekend. I'll see about adding some pics if Mark takes any, or uploading some of Wallace's.

Once these are paid for - and I arrange for a new sofa for the house which was the deal with the wife lol - I'll be going back to what I was working on; Jay has a set of old lower arms that I'm going to have refurbed and powder coated. These will get new ball joints and track rod ends, perhaps some new bushes too, and the Whiteline Anti-lift kit I've had sitting for 7 years! I will then turn my attention to some coilovers to resolve the suspension once and for all; needs to be coilies for the 14" Rays as springs and shocks just wont cut it height-wise. Then I need tires for the 14s. And in the middle of that, Jay and I have a couple of oil leaks to find and resolve PERMANENTLY!

Once all that is sorted, I shall return my attention to the poor paint condition as the original repair job just doesnt cut the mustard any longer.

As Jay says, a man with a plan. A slow plan I will grant you, but a plan nontheless. Be a few seasons yet before I'm parked up beside Beth and Joel at shows, but its heading in the right direction, and these seats will be f**king superb!

Phil.

to be fair it's looking like all three of us still have a long way to go before any of us will be happy parked up at shows haha.

love seeing progress on this, keep the ball rolling now that it's started again! :p

lol i don't doubt that B! Seats, suspension, oil leak, wheels, paintwork, bonnet, maybe a manifold...so far to go lol!

Progress will continue to be very slow, but such is the joy of owning a house and running a daily. The benefit of owning your own garage though is that it can sit, protected from the elements, and if only one bolt gets replaced every six months, then it doesnt annoy anyone by being in the way except me.

The next update is actually to do with garage itself - I have the living room carpet lifted and ready to put down underneath her to lift her and me off the cold concrete - i just need to be able to pull her out of the garage first to put it down! and for that, I need the seats over lol!

Phil.

• 3 months later...

Update

So, today Joel came down to GaragEP and wrenched on the motor for most of the day. Progress was good, we have successfully ticked a few tasks off the "to-do" list, namely shortening the IC piping, fitting the radiator bracket, fixing the high idle and mounting the footrest securely.

We also ran the car for a good 20 minutes, she is still leaking from somewhere around the oil pump, more so under a bit of pressure when she pushes out a few more drops, but for some reason the gearbox side leak did not appear...odd. Maybe just get the crank shaft seal done on that side again to be sure. She fired first time as always after a year of standing, and the engine sounds very tight and responsive despite the leak(s).

Seats are being brought back from Mark next week, after which we will get them fitted and at the same time see if we can mount the crutch straps to the sub frames (these will be for aesthetic purposes mostly).

Think I will put some rear plastics back in as I am now thinking I got a bit carried away with the stripping, but this gives me something to fettle at, sourcing and collecting etc.

Old to-do list items:

Tidy engine bay - as done as it will be

New radiator bracket - done

Wire in all Apexi gauges - done, just need to connect sensors for oil and water

Fit oil filter relocator - ready to fit

Fix bumper support bar
Catch can needs emptied and wire wool replaced
Boost controller needs replaced
Repaint all 4 calipers
Fit harness crutch straps
Weld holes in spare wheel well
Paint rear floor
Tires for Volks

Tires for Speedlines
New bonnet
Fit anti-lift kit
Wax oil
Air fuel ratio gauge
Wideband gauge
Front ARB
Shorten the intercooler piping - done

Fit powder coated inlet manifold - done

Paint rocker cover - done

Repaint ends of front strut-brace and BMCS

Shiny recessed washers to tidy up engine bay

Address the seats - done

New items:

Source some replacement rear inner trims and new handbrake trim

Check CV boots

Blow out washer jets

New suspension

Refresh lower suspension parts (arms, bushes, joints)

New number plates

Investigate exhaust mani options

Flush out washer bottle

Finish cleaning wheel arches

Heat wrap exhaust

Phil.

Edited by Nanglebadger

It definitely lives JP. That engine would be sweet as a nut if only it wasn't leaking, it really does sound very healthy, no residue in the exhaust, no blue smoke whatsoever, turbo sounds and responds well. Once the seats are in we're going to take it out of the garage and turn it round so I can finish cleaning the last wheel arch - when we do, I'll move it up and down the cul-de-sac i'm in just to waken the brakes up a little.

Phil.

Edited by Nanglebadger

Thanks folks. Next update should only be a couple of weeks away once the seats are home safe.

I have also tracked down some Glanza inner trim pieces from Hookie.

Slowly, slowly.

Phil.

rear inner arches?? i have a spare set here :(

glad to here its still running ok though. :thumbsup:

Edited by rob_bower