• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some nutter in N.I has already put a 3SGTE in an EP95. But Celica running gear in a V would be very interesting to see :)

NORTHERN IRELAND BUM BUM BA BUM BUM

and repeat.

Phil

You are a crazy man lol

Secret Steve is a Crazy man.

I am a regular Northern Irish Fella.

As regular as we come anyways. :)

Looking forward to a few teaser pics that will undoubtedly follow in this thread.

Phil

I know what he's doing...

He's going to sit in the engine bay.. and run.

Reliable, can go as fast as you like.. and hopefully it won't break :)!

Barny Rubble in the back Fred Flinstone in the front Jurassic glanza pure man power haha good luck Socks

• 2 weeks later...

Some very good guesses here people. Some right. Some Wrong. Few replies Ill reply too tho!

More power.

More drivability.

Pretty sure that's impossible unless you go 4wd right? Please explain?

Not impossible at all. See below :)

C20let lol

LOL, Erm NO

Ecoboost

LOL, Erm NO NO NO

Honda get lost.

Hate Honda a lot.

I don't hate Honda. Its just like admitting defeat. May as well just buy a civic.

If its a k20 set up then its being down in a glanza as we speak someone i know :)

Ha Gay :p Altho respect where its due. Best 4 pot engine out there...

3SGTE it you know you wanna ;)

Far Far Far too heavy bud!

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I guess its about time I let you all know what the plan is so here goes. I have been planning this since the start of summer when the most unlucky year for me was just starting to unfold.

First off though ill explain my reasoning for doing what im about to do.

4E-FTE's are great. There lightweight, small, easy to work on. etc

However they do have some problems when it comes to extracting large power outputs...

The biggest one being the gearbox's available that fit onto them. For me, 430bhp was way way way too much for the gearbox and the forces involved was just ridiculous.

My latest gearbox failure. Failed in such a way the 2 gearbox shafts, were forced apart by the helicut gears and had worn away the ends of the gearbox casing. Now straight cut gears would of course fix this issue. However, the gearset is £3500, that's before you assemble it all, with a proper shifter. But even then, its still going to wear out. If that wasn't enough, you then have a box that is so loud you couldn't hear the engine over it and doesn't really make it a road car anymore.

The second point is the want/need to be unique. When the car was first built, it was pretty unique. Many of the cars unique points have been copied now. So its time to up the game/bar yet again and try and create something that no one else has done...

So that, in total. Writes off the standard engine....

So....

What engine do we put under there....

Honda engines would be the logical choice. Cheap, make amazing power in stock trim and readily available. However. Its sort of like admitting defeat. I also just couldn't handle the Honda boys going "had to use a proper engine to get performance". bla bla bla. So that ruled that one out. Its been done 10000 times too.

The 3S-GTE was my next thought. Again readily available, VERY strong, proven to make tons of torque, good range of goodies. However, the weight and size of the engine is astronomical compared to a 4E-FTE. There nearly twice the weight with a gearbox combined! Which would play havoc with the cars balance!

4AGE was another thought, but that's also an old engine now and clocking on a bit! Not to mention there NOT easy to get hold of and parts are rare!

So, after a lot of thinking, it leaves me with only one logical option!

A 2ZZ-GE Conversion.

Now, lets look at the good news first...

The engine is a lot newer in terms of design.

The engineers at Yamaha & Toyota that developed the engine know what there doing.

The engine makes just short of 190bhp in N/A trim with a stock rev limit of 8200rpm.

More Power & Torque, with a much more progressive setup that's much more useable.

A full boost powerband that is going to be much longer then before.

It already has all the Crank Sensor/Trigger Wheel & Ignition Coils a 4E-FTE would require to reach large power outputs.

Despite its overall larger size and displacement, the actual engine is lighter then a 4E-FTE. Thanks to Alloy Block w/Cast Liners.

There on a timing chain rather then a belt.

There designed to rev, which means there strong in all the right places.

They have been fitted to a lot of cars and well tested. Corolla & Celica T-Sport, MR2, Lotus Elises. etc

This is all good news. I know this has been done before in NA trim in a EP82 GT Turbo, but this is a worlds first in boosted format in an EP91 Glanza V I do believe.

So at this point, the hunt was on for a damaged donor car, to rip its heart out!

post-2707-0-75888700-1412100846_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-11130000-1412101086_thumb.jp

I found this 55 Plate Corolla T-Sport on ebay with only 72k on the clock. Won it and for a total of £800. Had it delivered to Race-Tech directly. It looked a lot worse then it actually was. The rad wasn't broken, it still drove perfect but most importantly the engine was perfect.

post-2707-0-29571900-1412101582_thumb.jp

I stripped the non required parts out, I've sold a lot of the parts already. Which means I've very nearly got myself a free engine!

After doing lots and lots of reading. These engines do have a few weak points. The most important one being Oil Starvation due to a poor sump design. So I purchased a Moroso 4 Trap Door Baffled Sump Pan. With fittings for Oil Temp Senders & Turbo Oil Return, which would have been required anyway. Perfect!

post-2707-0-94825800-1412101476_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-70174100-1412101486_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-62709100-1412101493_thumb.jp

Its actually a pretty stunning bit of kit too! This wont be fitted until the engine is actually mounted of course...

So that's the engine side of things sorted for now. The engine is going to be boosted in stock unopened form first. Ill forge a second lump and swap them over at a later date sometime. The priority at the moment is to enjoy it again!

Which brings me onto the gearbox...

Now, the gearbox on these cars is a 6 speed unit and is a fair bit stronger then the C52 starlet gearbox. However, it still isn't too happy running anything over 400bhp. So after talking with a few experts, the decision was made to use a E153 LSD gearbox. Commonly found on the 3S-GTE Rev 3 MR2 Turbo.

So off came the Corolla T-Sport Gearbox.

post-2707-0-17746200-1412102720_thumb.jp

Luckily for me, the MR2 E153 gearbox is no bigger in terms of casing size.

post-2707-0-50666200-1412103216_thumb.jp

Ratios look good too!

post-2707-0-93757700-1412103335.jpg

The MR2 5-Speed gearbox is immensely strong. They have been tried and tested to nearly 1000bhp/700lbft in RWD format in the old MR2's. Making them practically indestructible in a FWD environment. Obviously the gearbox from an older Toyota wont just bolt on. So...

post-2707-0-73640200-1412103581_thumb.jp

A custom Sandwich Plate Adaptor is used to mount the 3S-GTE derived Gearbox to the 2ZZ-GE Engine.

post-2707-0-43765400-1412103708_thumb.jp

Once the engine block and gearbox are both modified. The adaptor is fitted to the engine block.

A Custom Lightweight Conversion Flywheel is also required. Which makes use of MR2 Turbo Clutch setups. The stock one is rated for decent power, but I figured I may as well do it properly. So got my hands on a Competition Clutch Stage 4 6-Puk Sprung Paddle Clutch Assembly. Capable of coping with a simply ridiculous amount of power too!

post-2707-0-09849200-1412104079_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-31029200-1412103811_thumb.jp

The Engine & Gearbox are then officially introduced for the first time. Wheeled over to S314KBA. Where there introduced to there new home!

post-2707-0-55285200-1412104452_thumb.jp

post-2707-0-99868200-1412104550_thumb.jp

The engine bay, chassis legs, engine mounts are now starting to be played with & fabricated to suit. To get this awesome setup mounted up this week!

I'll update you all in due course, the best I can!

Good to see something a bit different getting done (been thinking about something myself) That sump is a cracking bit of kit, my mate has one, cost a pretty penny too :p You going for the turbo over the gearbox like the honda boys do?

Oh oh had to post again ! I've been following this build from the start!

I remember reading on one of your post that when your 25 you would want a supra or something , just making me think that your not yet 25 or you just not ageing hahaha , again awesome build!