• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers for concerns folks. It really is nothing major! lol.
Engine and Tune was going really well :)

Few little teething problems that all got sorted out, the main one was the clutch.
My setup is a Stock Glanza Clutch Master, HEL Custom Clutch Line, Celica ST205 Clutch Slave & MR2 Turbo Clutch (Competition Stage 4)

The issue we had was when the clutch pedal was fully down the clutch was dragging still. So adjusting the pedal nearly all the way, it JUST released the clutch.
It seemed fine when off the clutch, and there was no slippage...

The car was on the dyno, making good power... After one of the cooldown sessions, upon restart, Ricky was listening through his headphones and thought he heard engine knock.
Turns out it was something clutch related. Depressing the clutch pedal and the noise went away. Was a loud metallic metal noise coming from the clutch/bell-housing area.

We put an endoscope through the rubber gromit (clutch fork hole). Metal filings everywhere....

What we think has happened is the clutch was adjusted fully, but even that wasn't enough to take the pressure completely off the release bearing. Killing the bearing...

The issue is the tiny Starlet Master Cylinder doesn't have enough travel/capacity for the entire range of the MR2 Turbo Clutch. So we are going to replace the bearing, inspect the rest to make sure all is well and look at some kind of bigger master cylinder. If anyone knows of any that fit do enlighten me! :)

So yeh, car was going well, sounds awesome, the throttle response looks to be pretty fucking awesome, and the Race-Dash is a very trick bit of kit!
Should be laughing when we've sorted a clutch fix :)

Ill update in due course!

Cheers for concerns folks. It really is nothing major! lol.

Engine and Tune was going really well :)

Few little teething problems that all got sorted out, the main one was the clutch.

My setup is a Stock Glanza Clutch Master, HEL Custom Clutch Line, Celica ST205 Clutch Slave & MR2 Turbo Clutch (Competition Stage 4)

The issue we had was when the clutch pedal was fully down the clutch was dragging still. So adjusting the pedal nearly all the way, it JUST released the clutch.

It seemed fine when off the clutch, and there was no slippage...

The car was on the dyno, making good power... After one of the cooldown sessions, upon restart, Ricky was listening through his headphones and thought he heard engine knock.

Turns out it was something clutch related. Depressing the clutch pedal and the noise went away. Was a loud metallic metal noise coming from the clutch/bell-housing area.

We put an endoscope through the rubber gromit (clutch fork hole). Metal filings everywhere....

What we think has happened is the clutch was adjusted fully, but even that wasn't enough to take the pressure completely off the release bearing. Killing the bearing...

The issue is the tiny Starlet Master Cylinder doesn't have enough travel/capacity for the entire range of the MR2 Turbo Clutch. So we are going to replace the bearing, inspect the rest to make sure all is well and look at some kind of bigger master cylinder. If anyone knows of any that fit do enlighten me! :)

So yeh, car was going well, sounds awesome, the throttle response looks to be pretty fucking awesome, and the Race-Dash is a very trick bit of kit!

Should be laughing when we've sorted a clutch fix :)

Ill update in due course!

Can you not fit a Celica GT4 MC to try and solve the issue? Compare the hole centres, might even be a direct match. That way you're gonna get the correct stroke on the slave cylinder. It might mean a little fettling of the bulkhead to fit but atleast then you've got a matching setup.

Day

Can you not fit a Celica GT4 MC to try and solve the issue? Compare the hole centres, might even be a direct match. That way you're gonna get the correct stroke on the slave cylinder. It might mean a little fettling of the bulkhead to fit but atleast then you've got a matching setup.

Day

That's the plan Day. Been toying with a few Toyota options. It's going to be tight though as th manifold is close to the stock item. May have to do some kind of remote resivour. :)

Lol. If it let go. I'd update everyone. Fingers crossed it won't. It's being mapped on the safer side of things.

Oh I see. Not aware of a way of seeing/knowing from outside the bell housing there was still pressure on the bearing. Very difficult to spot. It lasted a decent mileage on the dyno! So I'm not holding them responsible. This is a pretty unique car and a lot of stuff in it is different. I had no brake lights too due to a different master cylinder. Had to modify the bracket for that too. So the pedal hit the switch

Besides. I don't see you enlightening everyone on here or on your build thread about the fact your TD engine exploded in a shower of metal fragments. ;)

That's the plan Day. Been toying with a few Toyota options. It's going to be tight though as th manifold is close to the stock item. May have to do some kind of remote resivour. :)

Pretty sure the CTS has a remote feed from the BMC, might be a viable option? You'd have to compare the bore and stroke to see if it'll meet the capacity needed.

Day

Pretty sure the CTS has a remote feed from the BMC, might be a viable option? You'd have to compare the bore and stroke to see if it'll meet the capacity needed.

Day

Yeh it does and MWR say they you don't need to change it when doing this conversion on a corolla so must be ok.

Having a brake and clutch feed from the same resivour can have implications with big brake kits.

I cant remember what the terminology was but a mate who works for a vintage f1 race team advised against it if running a bigger than stock setup. just something to consider :)

Having a brake and clutch feed from the same resivour can have implications with big brake kits.

I cant remember what the terminology was but a mate who works for a vintage f1 race team advised against it if running a bigger than stock setup. just something to consider :)

A remote reservoir can soon be fitted, the good thing with the CTS MC is its quite small for what it does.

Socks, have you considered fitting a longer pushrod so the piston sits further back in giving you a longer stroke? I'm sure Ricky could machine a few up of varying lengths, perhaps even an adjustable one?

Day

Edited by Starlet__SR

Pleased it's not a 'major' problem Socks, some teething issues are to be expected on something like this aren't they. Hope you get it resolved soon buddy and can then get her on the road

• 2 weeks later...

Shit the bed . was wondering what you had been up to with your build. I was thinking you couldn't have much left that you could do lol . looks epic man . now I shall continue going back the pages and see what I find

Russell

• 2 weeks later...

I've read every page of this build from start to finish... (Well, we all know project cars are never 'finished' !)

The craftsmanship, the ideas, the speed of the build and the pending outcome. I tip my hat to you good sir. It's nothing short of amazing.

lol.

Its not blown up. Its not spat a rod. Its not fucked.

Its had a replacement clutch release bearing and is now fully re-assembled again.

The clutch issue is being sorted, mapping to do and some wiring for the racedash for the lights needs changing.

Will be ready when its ready, when i have figures you'll have figures :)