• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's obviously a huge job and as mentioned, there will be a lot of teething problems. Pleased nothing has gone bang :) looking forward to seeing the results. The whole custom loom set up sounds mental! All sounds a lot harder than just doing a 2zz NA conversion

Well said matt.

I think we can all agree .the mods never end .it's never perfect, whoever starts a build thinking that when completed they wouldn't be a problem or niggles then that's the person who has no idea what hole they jumping in.

Goodluck with the build.!

Remember chatting to you when i cut my panel out on top..

Literally done it at same time.

Always remember at donnington people going why have you done that..

Then seen so many people do it after has always made me giggle..

Thing is i have to cut mine for my cooling set up to fit in the way i want..

keep it up mate..

i should have a big update soon.

Cheers Folks...

Well. Me Vs Heat Today!

Fitted a big turbo blanket first. This worked amazingly well on my old setup!

Lowered under bonnet temps massively! However, due to its size, the manifold is the main culprit this time tbh!

post-2707-0-18295400-1441297671_thumb.jp

Took to the inside of the bonnet with a DA Sander also, and a 80grit pad. Got it nice and smooth, rub clean with alcohol.

Then applied some more heat protection, to try and protect whats left of the paint!

post-2707-0-88728500-1441297774_thumb.jp

DIY'd some 1 inch bonnet lifters and fitted my JD Tuning Bonnet Strut Kit.

The gas struts are WAY too strong for a fibreglass bonnet, ill worn you now. So going to need to talk to Jez about some softer ones!

She's back on the dyno at the moment...

post-2707-0-24207900-1441297850_thumb.jp

Wish me some luck please. Id like to see it make JAE!

Cheers Folks...

Well. Me Vs Heat Today!

Fitted a big turbo blanket first. This worked amazingly well on my old setup!

Lowered under bonnet temps massively! However, due to its size, the manifold is the main culprit this time tbh!

attachicon.gifIMG_3648.JPG

Like mentioned ceramic coating could be an option.

Looking at that pic its probably a good idea you've put a blanket on the turbine side! You've got a fuel line rather close to it! You not worried about it there at all? Residual heat or a fitting to come loose / fail and its kaboom.

BEST OF LUCK CAR and u to boss ha ha looks amazing

cant you heat wrap the manifold to contain heat a bit ?? no need to show of that ss mani ha ha :p:p

If you've used heat wrap before.... You know exactly why im not using it :D

Goes brittle and falls off after 6 months lol.

Get the manifold ceramic coated is an option

It is. Its expensive and does come off over time also...

Something I am considering tho, we will see how we get on now!

Like mentioned ceramic coating could be an option.

Looking at that pic its probably a good idea you've put a blanket on the turbine side! You've got a fuel line rather close to it! You not worried about it there at all? Residual heat or a fitting to come loose / fail and its kaboom.

Its not as close as you think. Its like 4inches. The blanket is quite big and makes it look alot closer.

But fire is something that always worries me, I cant think of a worse thing to watch that it going up in flames in front of my eyes tbh!

The car has 2 extinguishers inside at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you not thought about putting a sheild over the manifold pipes to stop some of the heat?

Or possibly zircotec heat coating?

See Above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. I guess I best update you all before we go away for xmas and new year!

The faults with this car have been solved. After much head scratching! Its been a long slog, but the faults were nothing any of us expected.

To cut a long story short.

When starting to rev the engine, as it came on boost, there was simply no fuel. Injectors were maxing out at 3-4psi of turbo boost (just as the turbo is coming on song). Anyone in the know, will know that with 1200cc injectors, that simply should not the case. There is pressure at the rail. etc

So the car has had a few tweaks with wiring done, for testing.

While keeping the loom in tact, (additional wiring made up to feed power or earth's to various parts of the engine).

This is what has taken so much time...

A bigger battery fitted (Corolla T-Sport Sized instead of Starlet Sized).

Thicker Gauge wiring to the front of the car. etc

The fuel is now there, so the car is ready to be mapped once the loom has been refinished nice and tidy with the changes we have found that were required.

This is awfully complex and frustrating, however James at Race-Tech is clued up and followed what DTA wanted in there documentation to a T when making the loom in the first place. So fingers cant really be pointed at anyone!

There are talks of him hopefully sparing some time to come in over the xmas period to make those changes. Ready for mapping in the new year. Have to see how it pans out.

While troubleshooting on the dyno the car has made some power, starting to see what its goign to spool like and behave like, which is already impressing me.

Although vague as we haven't used any timing advance, lift, boost control. etc

Needless to say it will not disappoint by the looks of it. As for the sound, that wont disappoint either, I assure you all to that.

Sorry for the boring update, I dont tend to update this thread until I have answers or something exciting to share.

Roll on 2016 folks!